Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Meal For A Champion

Strange as it may be, these little packets of Gu have become a relatively regular part of my diet. Why? Because I'm running a marathon in April and these little guys are one of the few things that keep me from falling over dead during the run (one of my mother's greatest fears--well I've gotta keep her thinking about me somehow!). While I probably wouldn't ever just rip one open and eat it for a meal, I have to admit that Gu isn't all that bad. However. There are certain flavors that just work, and certain other flavors that might as well be acid running down your throat. I eat one Gu about every hour on my long runs (usually when I'm out for anything 10+ miles), which definitely pulls me through. My feet may hurt and my legs may be tired and my skin may be roasted (as was the case last Saturday on my 21.2 mi run), but if I'm not hungry and bonking, I can rock the whole run. I bought mine, upon the recommendation of Chemist Cuisinier PhD, at REI because you get a discount if you buy a certain amount. We have both discovered that what works for her doesn't necessarily work for me, and vice versa; you've just gotta figure out what works for you. Here is a list of Gu flavors that don't make me gag and vomit.

Flavors that don't make me throw up:
Vanilla Bean
Jet Blackberry
Tri-Berry
Lemon Sublime

Flavors that make me want to die:
Chocolate Outrage
Strawberry (Clif Shots)

Mahlzeit!
-Coriaunty

3 comments :

Lalani said...

Thanks for the tips! I've been curious to try Gu and see how it works for me. This just might push me to try it! And good luck on your Marathon! You will be AMAZING

CC said...

Thank you! Good luck finding the right Gu! It really has been key to surviving my runs.

Ty and Melissa said...

:) Thank you for posting this! Now that I'm in good ole UT I'll have to try some out.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...