Sunday, March 13, 2011

bills Coconut Bread


This, I think, is my absolute favorite quick bread in the entire world.  I came across this recipe quite some time ago, and was intrigued by the origin.  bills is a successful restaurant that was started in Sydney, Australia in 1993 (I have never been there, but I have high hopes for the future!)  I believe that there are now six bills restaurants; four in Australia, and two in Japan (Tokyo and Yokohama - places that my brother knows well).  Anyhow, this bread comes from that restaurant, and I believe that it is the actual recipe that they use.  I've said this before, but if at all possible, weigh out your ingredients on a kitchen scale.  This will produce the most accurate result.

This bread is extremely moist and tender.  It is full of coconut, and has a luscious warmth from the cinnamon.  Yes, cinnamon.  I was very skeptical at first about adding a load of cinnamon to my coconut bread, but man o man was it a good idea.  No wonder they have a highly successful restaurant and I don't.  Now all I think about is what I can eat all the time with coconut and cinnamon in it...oatmeal...cookies...oatmeal cookies...

bills Coconut Bread

2 eggs
300 ml (1 1/4 cups) milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
350 g (2 1/2 cups) flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
225 g (heavy 1 cup) caster sugar
150 g (2 cups) shredded coconut
75 g (1/3 cup) butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F.  Grease and flour a loaf pan and set aside.  Whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla.  In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Stir in the sugar and coconut.   make a well in the center and pour in the egg mixture.  Stir until just combined.  Add butter and stir until just smooth, being careful not to over mix.  Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for one hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.  Makes 1 loaf, 12 slices.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...