Sunday, March 27, 2011

Maple Rhubarb Toasted Bread Pudding


Word on the street is that I am moving, and that means that I need to empty out my freezer.  I wasn't sure what to do with the rest of the rhubarb that I had, but knew that I didn't want to do a coffee cake or something ordinary.  I had never heard of rhubarb bread pudding before so it seemed like a good plan.  After whipping this up in (literally) 7-ish minutes, I popped it in the oven and something amazing came out.  Honestly?  It almost didn't make it to the photo.  I won't tell you what happened to the rest of it.

I don't like bread puddings that come out slightly dry.  I like a higher custard ratio to my bread to keep it moist.  The sourdough bread in here is incredible.  Maybe it sounds weird, but the sour of the bread with the tart of the rhubarb and the sweetness of the maple custard absolutely worked.  My not quite 2 year old hungry puppy scarfed it.  Yes, she scarfed rhubarb, which is a little disconcerting because rhubarb is not my favorite thing.  You wouldn't be able to tell by what is left in the pan, though, I kind of scarfed this dessert too.

Maple-Rhubarb Toasted Bread Pudding

4 slices good quality bread (I used homemade 7 grain sourdough)
1 cup chopped rhubarb (fresh or frozen)
3/4 cup milk
3 Tablespoons butter
2 eggs
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
Demarara sugar to sprinkle over top (optional)

Preheat the oven to 325F.  Grease a 9 inch square baking dish.  Toast the bread slices, then stack them on top of each other and cut into cubes.  Place the toasted bread cubes and the rhubarb in the prepared baking dish and toss together gently.

Heat the milk just enough to melt the butter, and set aside.  In a small bowl, beat the eggs, maple syrup, sugar, and salt.  Whisk in the milk/butter mixture, and pour evenly over the bread mixture.  Press bread down gently to ensure it is soaked with the milk mixture.  Sprinkle the demarara sugar over the top, then bake for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  Makes 4 servings.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy 

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...