Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Rhubarb Swirl Dessert


So, I usually (like never) make pudding and cool whip based desserts.  Not my thing.  At all, really.  So I almost didn't make this dessert.  However, since I did, I can tell you how incredibly smart of me it was to make it.  Wow, it was good.  The rhubarb was not too tart, and the pudding mixture mellowed out the power of the rhubarb and strawberry jello.  Since I conveniently have more rhubarb that I need to get rid of soon, I may just make this again.  And again.  Did I say that I might make this again?

Rhubarb Swirl Dessert

Graham Cracker Crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted

Rhubarb Swirl:
4 cups diced rhubarb
3/4 cup sugar
1 (4 serving) box strawberry Jello
1 (4 serving) box instant vanilla pudding
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 (8 ounce) tub Cool Whip

Place the rhubarb in a medium saucepan and pour the sugar over the top.  Let sit for about 1 hour.  In the meantime, to make the crust, mix together all of the ingredients and press into a 9 x 13 inch pan.  Chill for 1 hour.

After the rhubarb has set for an hour, simmer the rhubarb for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.  pour in the Jello and mix until dissolved.  Set the rhubarb mixture aside and cool until syrupy.  Prepare the vanilla pudding using the milk and vanilla, then fold in the cool whip.  Once the rhubarb mixture has cooled a bit, pour it into the pudding and gently swirl together.  Transfer to the prepared graham cracker crust and chill overnight.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...