Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Snickerdoodles

Today I needed a fast, easy cookie recipe that  1.) didn't require a trip to the store to get special ingredients, and 2.) that would be loved, accepted, approved of, and eaten by both an FHE family and a relief society. Completely stumped and in a bind, I texted Chemist Cuisinier, PhD, who--once again--saved me by suggesting I make snickerdoodles. I went back to my The Great Cookie Book book and tossed together a recipe for snickerdoodles. As per usual, I did a test cookie--thank goodness! What I pulled out of the oven was more of a snickerpuddle than a snickerdoodle. Bring on the flour! I ended up adding about 1/3 C more flour and increasing the bake time by a few minutes. Once I had the correct amount of flour and the bake time, everything was fabulous! Slightly chewy on the outside, very soft on the inside. Perfectly sweet with a balance of cinnamon and slight tang/tart. Both FHE family and Relief Society gobbled them all up. It only took me the length of Star Wars IV to make these (that's including my flour trial), and my reputation as a fabulous cook continues to go untarnished. I will definitely be making these again.

1 1/2 C Sugar
1/2 C Margarine or Butter, softened
1/2 C Shortening
2 Eggs
2 3/4 C All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Cream of Tartar
3 T Sugar, for rolling
3 tsp Ground Cinnamon, for rolling

1. Heat over to 350
2. In a large bowl mix sugar, margarine or butter, shortening and eggs thoroughly. Stir in flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt until blended. Shape dough by rounded teaspoonfulls into balls.
3. In a small bowl mix 3 T sugar and the cinnamon, roll balls in sugar mixture.
4. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until set. Remove from cookie sheet immediately and cool on a wire rack.

Mahlzeit!
-Coriaunty

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...