Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Motley Greens and Bean Salad

One of my absolute favorite things to do is cook for other people. Some days, though, I just need a little me time and me food. Today was one of those days. I knew I wanted something light and fresh, partly in retaliation to the nasty blizzard going on. No fatty comfort food today! So I raided my not-so-very-average-college-student pantry to see what sorts of things made my eyes tell my stomach it needed to eat said things. Out came garbanzo beans, pepperoni, and a variety of vegetables. And pepper jack cheese. My stomach really needed that today.

I wasn't quite sure how I was going to throw all these things together, but I figured since it's a me day and only me is eating it, if the dish is a disaster, no big deal. Fortunately, it was not a disaster. Everything hit just the right spot. Despite being a very unique combination of ingredients, all the flavors worked together yet stood apart at the same time. The crunch of the cucumber contrasted the softness of the garbanzo beans and tomato, while the pepperoni was slightly chewy and spicy. A subtle sweetness and tang, provided by the apple balsamic vinegar, cut through the spice, while the pepper jack countered that by supporting the pepperoni spice and binding everything together. When only a few bites in remained in my bowl, I didn't know which morsel to consume last. In the end, I went for a chunk of pepperoni, cucumber, garbanzo been, and cheese. A perfect ending to a perfect salad, built perfectly for me.

3 C Chopped Tomatoes
2 1/2 C Chopped Cucumber
6 Small Green Onions, chopped
1 tsp Basil
1 1/2 C Small Shell Pasta, cooked
4 oz Pepperoni or Chicken, cut into quarters or bits
16 oz Garbanzo Beans
1 1/2 C Grated Pepper Jack Cheese
2 T plus 1 T Red Apple Balsamic Vinegar
1 T Sugar
1 tsp Salt
3 T Water
1/4 tsp Black Pepper

1. In a large bowl combine tomatoes, cucumbers, green onion, and basil.

2. In a smaller bowl combine 2 T red apple balsamic vinegar, salt, water, and pepper. Add combination to the vegetables. Mix and let chill in the refrigerator to prevent wilting while you prepare the rest of the dish.

3. In a large skillet, brown pepperoni and drain grease. If using chicken, cook until mostly done. Add 1 T red apple balsamic vinegar and garbanzo beans. Stir. Add cooked pasta and continue to heat until everything is hot. Add cheese and mix until all components are coated with cheese. Add this to the vegetable mixture and quickly but gently mix. You may have to break up some chunks of cheese/bean/pasta/pepperoni in order to incorporate into the vegetables. Chill for at least an hour and serve cold.

Mahlzeit!
-Coraiunty

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...