Monday, October 17, 2011

Cinnamon Spice Caramel Apples


It is a tradition for my family to make caramel apples in the fall.  My oldest hungry puppy has been asking begging to make caramel apples for months.  However, I have had braces for about the last 2 years, and have been missing out on caramel apples.  So I told her that we would make caramel apples as soon as I got my braces off, whenever that happened to be.  So when I surprised her one day by coming home with no braces, you can imagine that the first thing out of her mouth was "Caramel Apples!!!!".  Thus, these little beauties were born. 

 I saw the recipe last year in Taste of Home, but was unable to make or partake (darn it!) .  I used the idea to come up with a more simplified version with a smaller batch.  I love these caramel apples.  They are probably my favorite ever.  The cinnamon sugar is so incredible with the white chocolate and caramel, and it is all perfect with a tart granny smith apple.  I had some caramel, white chocolate, and cinnamon sugar left over, so I dipped pretzel rods, using the same order and technique as the apples. Wow.  Amazing. 

Cinnamon Spice Caramel Apples

5 Granny Smith apples
5 popsicle sticks
1 pkg caramel bits 
2 Tablespoons water
1 pkg white chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons shortening
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Thoroughly wash and dry the apples.  Push a popsicle stick into the top of each apple.  Line a plate with wax paper.  In a medium bowl, combine the caramel bits and water.  Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, or until completely melted, stirring until smooth.  Dip each apple into the caramel until it is well coated.  Hold each dipped apple over the bowl of caramel and let the excess drip off.  Place on the wax paper.  Repeat with remaining apples, then place in the refrigerator until firm.  

While the apples are setting up, combine the white chocolate and shortening and melt carefully in the microwave, stirring frequently, until smooth.  In a small bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon.  Dip each apple into the white chocolate and let some of the excess drip off.  Immediately sprinkle the cinnamon sugar generously over the white chocolate.  Place the apple on the plate and repeat with the remaining apples.  Chill until the candy coating is completely firm.  Store in the refrigerator.  Makes 5 caramel apples.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

2 comments :

Shauna said...

I love the way this recipe looks. I will have to try it and let you know how it turned out!

Jerusha said...

Super yummy! Looks pretty too!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...