Monday, March 21, 2011

Mom's Buttermilk Pancakes

When I was growing up we had either pancakes or waffles almost every Saturday. In fact, when I go home my mom still makes pancakes and waffles on Saturday mornings. That's one of the things I miss the most about being away from home (my mom, not the pancakes. Although I do miss Saturday morning pancakes, too). Because these pancakes are so wonderfully delicious and remind me of my mom, I got the recipe from her. That way, on Sunday nights like tonight when I don't know what to make for supper, and when I kind of need my mommy, I can make her buttermilk pancakes and the 1000 miles between us seem to be just a little bit shorter. Tonight I enjoyed these with my buttermilk syrup (recipe follows), whipped cream, and fresh strawberries.

Pancakes:
1/2 Cube Butter, melted
2 Eggs
2 C Buttermilk
4 T White or Brown Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 C Oats
1-2 C Flour, depending on how thick you like your pancakes
Dash of Cinnamon (optional)
Pinch of Nutmeg (optional)
Splash of Vanilla (optional)

Combine melted butter with eggs. Stir in buttermilk and sugar. Add baking powder, salt, baking soda, oats, and flour. Add  cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla, if desired. Mix.

Heat a pan on the stove over medium heat and grease with non-stick spray. Pour batter by less than 1/4 C  portions onto pan. Flip when the little bubbles on top of the pancake have popped and the underside is golden brown.

Buttermilk Syrup:
1/4 C Margarine or Butter
2 C Sugar
1 C Buttermilk
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Vanilla or Coconut Extract

Melt margarine or butter in a sauce pan. add sugar and buttermilk. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add baking soda and coconut/vanilla. Store for up to one week in the refrigerator.

Mahlzeit!
-Coriaunty

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...