Wednesday, October 3, 2012

White Chocolate Pecan Bread


I first had this bread while visiting my sister in Salt Lake City last month.  I had heard about this bread before, but had never tried it and I was excited!  Wow, it totally lived up to my expectations and I was in love.  Only problem?  The bread is from Harmons, and I don't have a recipe.  Well, in this situation, there is only one thing to do (besides petition for a Harmons to come to my town...) make up my own recipe to mimic the original through trial and error.  This is my first attempt.  What do you think?  Just a quick side note:  This bread makes divine french toast.  I had to negotiate with my youngest Hungry Puppy for the last piece.


White Chocolate Pecan Bread

1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 -3/4 cup chopped white chocolate
1 1/2 cups warm water

In a medium sized bowl combine the white whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, yeast, pecans, and white chocolate.  Stir together until combined.  Add the warm water and stir until well blended and all of the flour is incorporated.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, or transfer the dough to a large sealable container.  Let the dough sit at room temperature for 2 hours, then place in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.

When ready to bake, remove the dough from the refrigerator and turn out onto a floured surface.  Shape the dough into a ball.  Line a medium size bowl with parchment paper and place the formed dough in the parchment lined bowl.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise for about 1 1/2 hours.

Place a dutch oven, french oven, stainless steel pot or pyrex dish with a lid in the oven and preheat to 450F.  When the oven is ready, lift the dough out of the bowl using the parchment as handles, and lower into the preheated dish.  Cover with the lid and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove the lid and bake for an additional 15 to 30 minutes until it is golden brown.  Remove bread from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Cool at least 45 minutes before slicing.  Makes one loaf.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...