Monday, October 8, 2012

Vanilla Raspberry Chocolate Candy Cake


It is birthday time again!  I feel like I say that all the time.  This time, the birthday girl is none other than my oldest Hungry Puppy, who is turning 7.  Unbelievable.  While brainstorming what kind of cake I should make her, my thoughts turned back to this Orange Layer Candy Cake that I made for another birthday a couple of months ago.  I thought of how fun it was, how delicious it was, and how easy it was to make!  Problem solved, question answered. I would be making that cake again...but little girl style.  My Hungry Puppy loves white chocolate and the colors pink, purple, and red, so I ran with it from there.

I recently had surgery on my foot, and have thus been off of my feet for the majority of the past two weeks.  This being said, I felt the need to simplify and shorten my time spent on my foot and in the kitchen.  I started with a boxed cake mix, and dressed it up a little so it doesn't taste so "out of a boxy".  I used canned raspberry pie filling, and canned frosting, but you could easily use your favorite home made recipe.  This cake is super cute, easy, and delicious.  My Hungry Puppy loved it, and my poor bruised and broken foot doesn't hate me.  Everyone wins here (even my youngest Hungry Puppy who helped "dispose" of the leftover Kit Kats)!

Vanilla Raspberry Chocolate Candy Cake

1 box white cake mix
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups water
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup Raspberry Pie Filling
1 (16 ounce) container (about 2 cups) vanilla frosting
11 full size White Chocolate Kit Kat Bars
2 (8 ounce) bags Raspberry Dark Chocolate M&Ms
1 piece of ribbon long enough to wrap around entire cake and tie

Preheat oven to 325F.  Grease and flour 2 9-inch round cake pans.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the cake mix, flour, sugar and salt.  Add the eggs, water, sour cream, oil, vanilla extract, and almond extract and whisk until well blended.  Divide the batter evenly among the two prepared pans.  

Bake the cakes for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean.  Remove cakes from the oven and let cool in the pans for 10 to 15 minutes.  Carefully remove cakes from the pans and let cool completely on cooling racks.

When the cakes are completely cool, place one layer upside-down on a serving plate.  Spread the raspberry pie filling over the cake.  Place the second layer right-side up on top of the first layer.  Spread the vanilla frosting over the top and sides of the cake (don't worry about being neat, you won't see any of it when you're done).  Place the Kit Kat Bars vertically around the cake, then wrap the ribbon around the Kit Kats and tie it.  Place the M&Ms on top of the cake to cover the frosting.  Makes about 16 servings.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...