Monday, October 22, 2012

Orange Scented Flourless Chocolate Cake


It is my dad's birthday this week, and I knew that I needed to make him a fabulous cake (because I need to make a fabulous cake for everyone with a birthday), and that it needed to be super chocolate.  I didn't want it to be huge (no one to help eat it) and not with a ton of frosting (not my dad's favorite), so the idea of a flourless chocolate cake popped into my head. I have never tried one of these before, so here goes nothing.  

The result was fabulous, rich, fudgy, and amazing.  Kind of like my dad.  My dad is the best ever.  I know that everyone says that, but in my case it is true.  He is never too busy, for his kids.  He will answer the phone at 1 a.m. when his kids are having total meltdowns of epic proportions (been there...he answered the phone).  He always has sage advice and words of wisdom.  I can't remember a time when he has steered me wrong (don't tell him I said that, though).  I love to just chat with him (usually when he is doing the dishes for my mom, because that is the only time he is standing still usually).  He taught me to expect my husband to do the dishes because he always did the dishes for my mom so she didn't have to cook and clean.  We sometimes share jam tips and recipes (he totally makes jam.  So awesome).  He is also the best Grandpa ever.  He loves my Hungry Puppies, and they love him.  Their favorite thing to do in the Summertime is to follow Grandpa around outside while he gives them raspberries and strawberries from the garden.  They love to sit on his lap while he drives the tractor.  He always has fun things to call his daughters and granddaughters (he only has granddaughters.  Lucky man), like Shmootzy-poo, or Twinkle-Toes.  In short (or extremely long) he is the best Dad ever.  And I love him.  Happy Birthday, Dad!

Flourless Chocolate Cake

1 pound semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup (16 Tablespoons, 2 sticks) unsalted butter
1/4 cup strong coffee (or use water)
Grated zest of 1 orange
8 large eggs, cold
powdered sugar, or whipped cream (for serving)

Preheat the oven to 325F.  Grease the bottom and sides of an 8 inch springform pan, then line the bottom with parchment paper and lightly grease the parchment. Wrap the outside of the pan with 2 sheets of foil, and place the prepared pan inside a large roasting pan.  Boil a pot of water.

Place the chocolate, butter, and coffee in a large microwaveable bowl and heat in the microwave for 1 to 3 minutes, stirring often, until melted and smooth.  Let cool slightly.

Place the eggs in a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer on high speed until they double in volume, about 5 to 10 minutes.  Fold the eggs into the chocolate mixture in 3 additions, continuing to fold in the last addition until no streaks remain.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan inside the roasting pan, and smooth the top.  Place the roasting pan in the oven and pour the boiling water into the roasting pan until it reaches halfway up the sides of the springform pan.  Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the edges are just beginning to set, a thin crust has formed on the top, and an instant read thermometer inserted into the center reads 140F.

Remove the cake from the water bath and cool completely on a cooling rack.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.  Before serving, run a thin knife around the edge of the cake to loosen the edges, then remove the sides of the pan.  Invert the cake on a parchment lined plate and peel off the parchment paper, then flip the cake upright onto a serving plate and discard the second parchment.  Dust with powdered sugar or dollop with whipped cream before serving.  Makes 10 to 12 servings.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...