Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream



I decided to make this ice cream on a Sunday, and was absolutely ready to go!  I had all of the ingredients, so let's get started!  And then I realized that I didn't have any vanilla wafers. Stink!  So what do I do?  I don't shop on Sunday, so do I wait until Monday and go buy some?  Yeah, right.  I find a recipe and make them myself.  Which I did, and I felt pretty good about it.  Until my husband said, "You know, Dairy Queen uses real vanilla wafers."  I know!  But since I don't have any....hello, would I let a little thing like no vanilla wafers deter me from my pumpkin pie ice cream?  Heck no.  


This ice cream is so delicious.  I am a little bit surprised that it wasn't devoured before it came out of the ice cream maker.  Yeah, it was that good.  I think that this recipe will be repeated in the very near future.  Perhaps I will try substituting gingersnaps for the vanilla wafers...or actually using real vanilla wafers.


Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream


10 ounces (about 1 heaping cup) pumpkin puree (home made or store bought)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups half and half
1/2 cup vanilla wafers, chopped


In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.  Slowly whisk in the half and half and continue stirring until the mixture is well combined.  Cover and chill for 2 to 4 hours.


Remove the ice cream mixture from the refrigerator.  Pour into the ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.  About five minutes before the ice cream is done churning, add the chopped cookies.  When the ice cream is finished, transfer to a container with a lid and store in the freezer until ready to serve.  Makes about 1 quart.


Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...