Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Chocolate Covered Cherry Birthday Cake

This post is dedicated to Chemist Cuisinier PhD, who had a birthday yesterday. In an attempt to express my appreciation for everything she does for me (which is a lot), I made her this chocolate covered cherry cake, which she had mentioned a little while ago she wanted. Happy birthday to my wonderful, fabulous, gorgeous, brilliant, kind, caring, selfless, thoughtful, funny sister! She is one of the best people I know. If I can be half as amazing when I grow up as she is now, I feel I will have achieved something in my life. Happy birthday, Chemist Cuisinier PhD! I love you!

You Will Need:
1 Recipe Cake (I used cherry chip mix because I was on a time limit)
1 Jar Hot Fudge, or make your own (super easy and delicious! I used this recipe)
1 Sleeve Oreos, crumbed (is that a real word?) with a cuisinart
1 Recipe Buttercream Frosting (I used this recipe)
3 Boxes Chocolate Covered Cherries
1-3 Maraschino Cherries

*Original Post found Here

1. Prepare cake batter and split evenly between two 6 or 7-inch round cake pans. Bake, cool, and shave tops off to create a flat surface.

2. Place pieces of wax paper on a cake stand and set first layer of cake on it.

3. Put about 1/4 C frosting on the top of the first layer of cake. Cover with chocolate covered cherries. Spoon frosting over cherries and smooth out to create a flat surface. Also frost the sides of the first layer. Freeze for 30 minutes.

4. Place second layer on top of the cherries and cover both layers with frosting. Make sure it is relatively smooth. Freeze again for 30 minutes.

5. This is the part that gets messy. Slowly pour [room temp] hot fudge over the top of the cake and let drip over the sides. As it drips, spread on the sides with a knife. Cover entire cake with oreo crumbs (I did this by putting crumbs in my hand and gently smooshing them to the sides of the cake. It was messy.

6. Freeze for another 30 minutes to make sure everything is set.

7. Place a dollop of icing on the top and garnish with maraschino cherries. Serve cold or at room temperature.

Mahlzeit!
-Coriaunty

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...