Friday, October 14, 2011

Zucchini Applesauce Bread


I have found myself with an abundance of zucchini. Like. More than I even know what to do with. So I decided to start off with the classic zucchini bread. Because I am calorie-conscious I decided to try it with applesauce rather than oil (1 C Applesauce = 105 Cal. 1 C Vegetable Oil = 1927. Yikes!).

While this bread was still pretty good, I have to admit that I wasn't absolutely 100% in love with it. It was sort of spongy and I'm not totally sure why. Maybe the applesauce? At any rate, I liked it much more after it had sat in the fridge overnight. The flavor was good and it had just the right balance of warm spices. This bread also had a nice, sweet, sticky, slightly crunchy crust and a dense (albeit spongy) inside. Using oil rather than applesauce may solve the texture issue.

Original recipe adapted from here.

3 1/4 C All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
3 C Sugar
1 C Unsweetened Applesauce
4 Eggs
1/3 C Water
2 C Grated Zucchini
1 T Lemon Juice

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon, and sugar.

In a separate bowl combine oil, eggs, water, zucchini, and lemon juice. Mix wet ingredients into dry. Fold together.

Bake in 2 standard loaf pans, sprayed with nonstick spray, for 1 hour, or until a tester comes out clean.

Mahlzeit!
-Coriaunty

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...