Monday, October 31, 2011

A Ghost Post

My last guest post involved a recipe from an interesting blog that I follow called “Confections of a Closet Master Baker.”  This post will involve another of her creations.

I am a sucker for cute baked goods.  I love to deliver diabetic coma inducing food to friends and family.  Take these cute creations that Gesine posted on her blog:  http://confectionsofamasterbaker.blogspot.com/2011/09/wanted-candy-corn-dead-or-alive.html

Candy corn covered ghostly cupcakes!!  So cute!  I thought I should give it a try, so I dutifully requested her book “Sugarbaby” from the library and found the required recipes.  I will not be reproducing the recipes here.  (You should check the book out at the library).

I must admit that I used a cake mix to make the ghost bodies.  I was extremely intimidated when I realized that I would have to make three different recipes and make my kitchen a disaster three different times in order to complete these creations.  So, I got lazy.  My attempt is feeble, when compared with the real deal.  I know that I should have put the tops of the cupcakes on these ghost bodies so that they would be less block-headed.  

The ghost bodies are two cupcakes, whose middles have been hollowed out and filled with deliciously sugary nougat.  The nougat that I made was quite wonderful, and I was happy to eat it with a spoon, but it did not have the fluffiness and loft and shape holding powers found in the original post.  I was already invested, though, so I dutifully filled the cupcakes with the sticky mess and smashed them together.  

The ghost shroud was easier to make, but incredibly difficult to work with.  I either had too much powdered sugar on the table, and a huge mess, or too little powdered sugar on the table, which also resulted in a huge mess.  These were a bit of a disaster.  Again, I could have eaten the finished product all day, it was that delicious.  By the time I had completed the ghosts, I and my kitchen were covered in sugar, so I copped out and painted the eyes and mouths on with melted milk chocolate.  

These took a lot of time, and I was tempted to sell my house afterward so that I wouldn’t have to clean the kitchen.  They did elicit “wows” when I delivered them to my neighbors, however.
 
-Chemist Cuisinier, PhD

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...