Friday, October 28, 2011

Black Midnight Cake



I am so excited about this cake!  For one, it is for my Dad's birthday, and I love my Dad!  He is probably the best Dad that there is.  I know that everyone says that, but in my case it is absolutely true.  He is funny and smart and supportive.  He even lets us call him at one in the morning if we need to.  And yes, he does actually answer the phone.  Pretty much, he is amazing.  He also really likes dark chocolate.  The darker the better.  So, this cake is dedicated to my Dad.  I love you, Dad!


This cake starts with my favorite chocolate cake base.  This time, I used special dark cocoa powder.  The frosting is a basic chocolate frosting, but again, uses special dark cocoa.  I decorated this cake with black and orange cake balls since it is almost Halloween, and I just couldn't resist.  One quick note, to avoid unsightly layer bulging, try to wait until the cake layers are completely cool.  I got a little overzealous, I think, and frosted this cake slightly warm, hence the unsightly layer bulging.  However, this cake is delicious, and I think that my Dad will love it.  The bittersweet part of it?  My Dad lives four hours away, so the entire cake will be traveling there.  Which means none for me.  Sad.  However, that means none for me.  Yay for my skinny jeans!  Original idea found here.


Black Midnight Cake


Cake:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 
1 cup special dark cocoa powder
2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup milk
1 1/4 cups hot water
2 eggs
1 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sugar

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup special dark cocoa powder
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 teaspoon shortening


Heat oven to 350F. Butter and flour bottom and sides of 3 (8-inch) cake pans. 

For the cakes: Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.  Place the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl.  Bring the milk to a simmer then pour over the chocolate.  Let stand for a minute or two, then stir until smooth.  Add the hot water, then let the chocolate mixture cool slightly.

In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, mayonnaise, and vanilla until well blended. Gradually beat in the sugar. Add dry ingredients and coffee liquid alternately in 2 or 3 additions, beating until smooth. Divide the batter among pans.  

Bake the cakes for 25-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cakes cool in pans on wire racks 10-15 minutes. Turn the cakes out of the pans and onto cooling racks to cool completely.

For the frosting:  In a medium bowl, beat the butter until smooth.  Add about 1 cup of powdered sugar and beat until combined.  Add the cocoa powder, and carefully beat on low speed until blended.  Beat in the remaining powdered sugar (the mixture may be crumbly).  Beat in the milk, starting with 1/4 cup and adding more if needed to reach desired consistency.

To assemble:  Place one cake layer on a serving plate.  Top with a thin layer of frosting.  Top with another cake layer and spread with another thin layer of frosting.  Place the remaining cake layer on the top, then frost the top and sides of the cake.

In a small bowl, melt together the dark chocolate chips and shortening, stirring until smooth.  Drizzle the melted chocolate around the top edges of the cake, letting the chocolate run down the sides of the cake.  Arrange the cake balls on top of the cake.  Makes 12 to 16 servings.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...