Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Caramel Apple Pie



It has been so long since I made an apple pie!  Apples are usually so expensive, I have been not so patiently waiting for the price to drop this fall.  So what if I have 25 pounds of apples in my refrigerator?  So what if my husband thinks I totally lost it?  So what if he openly questioned my sanity when I bought more apples yesterday (this is in addition to the 25 pounds already in the fridge)?  In my defense, those now 30 pounds of apples are all different varieties.  Haralson, Macintosh, Jonathon, Granny Smith, Cortland...and all went into this pie that I decided to make on the spur of the moment. Spur of the moment means I wasn't prepared, and that I didn't re-familiarize myself with the recipe and therefore stressed over and rushed to finish so that I wouldn't be late to pick up my hungry puppy from school.


Happily, the pie was fabulous, the mess contained, and I was on time to pick up my hungry puppy.  This pie, obviously, starts with apples.  I love using tart apples for baking.  I love using tart apples for eating.  I sort of love tart apples.  Anyhow, I like to use at least two different types of apples in my pies, because I think that it gives a nice depth to the apple flavor.  For this recipe, you saute the apple filling before adding to the crust.  This creates the caramel, and softens the apples slightly for baking.


Caramel Apple Pie


Crust:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup butter flavored shortening, chilled
1/3 cup ice water
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1 egg, beaten


Apple Filling:
6 cups sliced peeled tart apples
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter


For the crust, in a large bowl combine the flour, salt, and sugar.  Cut in the shortening using a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs.  In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, water, and egg.  Add the water mixture to the flour mixture, one tablespoon at a time, tossing the dough with a fork until it forms a soft dough.  Divide the dough into to equal size portions, form into disks, wrap with plastic wrap and chill for several hours.  Remove one disc of pie dough from the refrigerator, and roll out on a floured surface.  Fit the rolled dough into a 9 inch pie plate.


To prepare the filling, place apples in a large bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice.  To the apples, add the brown and white sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla, and cream.  Toss to coat the apples.  In a very large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter, then add the apple filling.  Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apples have softened slightly.  Pour the warm filling into the prepared pie crust.


Preheat the oven to 450F.  Roll out the second disc of dough and place on top of the pie.  Trim (if necessary), seal, and flute the edges and cut slits in the top for steam to escape.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Lower the oven heat to 350F and bake the pie for 45 minutes longer. Makes one pie, about 8 to 10 servings.


Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...