Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Pebber Nodder

I love trying out new things! Two of those things include foreign food and unusual/rare ingredients. This recipe tackles both. Recently I have become interested in the spice Cardamom (a very good description found here). I had heard of it but had never actually used, seen, or smelled it. Since I'm home for Christmas and now have access to my mom's extensive array of spices, I'm able to go through each one and examine it. So I found the cardamom, smelled it, tasted it, and became excited to begin experimenting.

Through my cardamom research I found a Danish cookie recipe. Since I've never made anything like this, I was uncertain if the recipe I had found was reliable (and legitimate). So I asked my roommate's mom, who is from Denmark, if that recipe was ok. She replied that it would work, but then gave me a list of things I could add to it. The following is my combination of her recipe and another recipe found here. These cookies produce a bite-size snack-cookie that are crunchy and slightly chewy on the outside while still being soft on the inside. The cardamom pulls through but is not overpowering. Pebber Nodder is very good, however, I didn't find it good enough to make a second time.

1 C Butter
1 C Sugar
2 Eggs
2 1/2 C flour
2 tsp Cardamom
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Cloves
1/4 tsp White Pepper
1/2 tsp Mace

In a mixer combine butter and sugar and beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, stirring until light and fluffy. Combine flour, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, white pepper, and mace. Stir into sugar mixture until just blended. You may need to add more flour. Separate the dough into 6 balls and roll each, on a lightly floured surface, into a rope a little larger in diameter than your index finger. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 or until lightly browned.

Mahlzeit!
-Coriaunty

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...