Friday, December 24, 2010

Fruit Cake

Fruit cake gets a bad wrap. And it should. If I grew up knowing the fruit cake everybody else knew (commercial), I would hate it equally as much as everybody else. Fortunately for me (and for you) I did not grow up on commercial anything, including fruit cake. My mom has made this every year for as long as I can remember. This year, though, I am going to be an active participant in the making process instead of solely an active participant in the eating process. That way I can continue this tradition for myself and future (yeah right!) family.

3 C Raisins
2 3/4 C Canied Cherries
4 C Walnuts, halves or large pieces
2 1/4 C Dates, cut in half
2 C Candied Pineapple, cut up
1 C Candied Orange Peel
1 C Candied Lemon Peel
1 C Candied Citron
5 C All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Cloves
1 tsp Ginger
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Salt
2 C Butter
2 1/2 C sugar
6 Eggs
3/4 Light Molasses
1/2 C Sherry Wine or Grape Juice

Prepare one 9in bundt pan, and two large loaf pans by lining with greased foil. Mix half of the flour with the fruits and walnuts. Combine remaining flour with spices, soda and salt. Cream butter with sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg. Stir in molasses and wine. Blend in flour mixture, then foured fruits, mixing well. Turn into prepared pans. Bake at 300 for 2-3 hours.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...