Friday, November 26, 2010

Mincemeat Pie




When I was little my mom would make mincemeat pie for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I loved them! Unfortunately, one year, long long ago, she stopped making them and I soon forgot all about mincemeat pie. This year, however, was different. My sister and I were in charge of the whole Thanksgiving meal, and while we were making our list of scrumptious dishes to deliver, I suddenly remembered mincemeat pie. Quickly calling dibs on pie making, I started preparing.

I called my mom up and asked for her recipe; she told me to just go to the store, get a jar of mincemeat, and plop it into my pie crust. Needless to say, that was a bit of a letdown. So I decided to spice it up a bit. My pie spun off of an AllRecipes recipe. My childhood memories joined forces with a set of now older and wiser taste buds to create the following:

1 Jar mincemeat pie filling
1 1/2 Cups chopped walnuts
2 Apples, chopped
1/2 Cup dried cranberries
1/2 Cups packed brown sugar
1 T Vanilla
1 T Lemon juice
Double pie crust

Combine ingredients (minus the pie crusts, of course) in a large bowl. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Pour into pie shell, cover and crimp with top crust. Be sure to slit the top so the pie can vent! Bake at 425 for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 375. Brush crust with milk and sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon and sugar on the crust. Bake for 10 minutes. *Watch your crust. You may need to tent it in order prevent overbrowning (aka burning).
Mahlzeit!
-Coriaunty

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...