Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookie Trials - Chocolate Chip Cashew Cookies


I am continually searching for a really good, always successful chocolate chip cookie recipe. I have occasionally found the really good, but have trouble (a lot of trouble) with the always successful part. So, we commence the chocolate chip cookie trials. I am going to test out some different recipes, and post the results, even the failures. Cookie testing is a big deal for me, and includes phase testing. Phase 1: The Dough. If the dough doesn't taste good, you might be in trouble. Phase 2: Fresh Baked. How are the taste and texture right out of the oven. And Phase 3: Chilled. How do the taste and texture hold up after being chilled or frozen. It is a tough job, but I will sacrifice myself in the name of science -or cookies.

This recipe is one that I have made several times before, and is my current go-to recipe. Oddly enough, it is a shortening based recipe, and I hate shortening based cookies. Oh well. Sacrifices. I have adapted this recipe from one I found on the back of a Crisco can. It has a good flavor, and the texture is perfect. It is crisp/crunchy on the outside with a slightly sandy texture, and chewy on the inside, like a bakery cookie. It is also a nice looking cookie, not wafer thin. Phase 1, dough: You are lucky to see subsequent phases. Phase 2, baked: Crisp outside, soft, warm, gooey inside. Phase 3, chilled: Chewy, but not tough, and still has the crisp bite. The cashews provide a nice, slightly different touch, which I really love. Take note of this because I don't like nuts (except cashews) and you will never find nuts in my cookies. Next time I will try white chocolate chips with the cashews.
Chocolate Chip Cashew Cookies

3/4 cups butter flavored shortening
1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 egg
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup coarsley chopped cashews

Preheat the oven to 375F. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the shortening, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides, then add the egg and beat well. Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, and mix on low until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfulls onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake cookies for 10 minutes. Cool the cookies for 2 minutes on the baking sheet, then remove to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Enjoy! -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...