Friday, January 18, 2013

Pasta Bean Soup


I am not the best soup maker of all time.  In fact, I am a little bit intimidated by soup.  I think that is because I rarely make soup.  Rarely ever make soup.  This is sort of problematic because my family frequently desires soup for dinner, and I have had a couple of unfortunate fails.  As such, I have decided to expand my soup repertoire by making soup for dinner one night every week.  This is a pasta bean soup from Taste of Home.  It is hearty and delicious.  You can adjust the spice by adding more or less chipotles.

Pasta Bean Soup

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) chicken broth (about 4 cups)
3/4 cup uncooked small pasta shells
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 to 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney beans, drained
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
Parmesan cheese, shredded or shaved, for garnish if desired


In a large saucepan or dutch oven, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until translucent.  Add the chicken broth, pasta, sugar, Italian seasoning, and chopped chipotle chilis.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, or until pasta is tender.  Stir in the white beans and crushed tomatoes.  Continue cooking until heated through.  Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.  Makes 6 servings.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...