Friday, August 17, 2012

Coconut Rice Pudding


I made some rice yesterday using fresh coconut water instead of plain water.  It was such a hit!  Everyone love it, and the suggestion was made that it would make fabulous rice pudding.  Since I had just a bit left over, I decided to try it out, and I think I may be addicted.  Creamy pudding, soft rice and raisins, a touch of cinnamon, and fresh coconut to round it out.  Delicious.  For best results, use a fresh coconut that you open yourself.  Drain the water to use in the rice, then grate the flesh.

Coconut Rice Pudding

2/3 cup rice
1 1/3 cup coconut water (I used fresh water that I drained from the coconut myself, but you can use store bought)
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 egg, beaten
2 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup fresh grated coconut (bagged shredded coconut is fine)

In a saucepan, combine the rice and coconut water.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover.  Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.

In a medium saucepan, stir together the cornstarch, sugar, and salt.  Whisk in the milk and the beaten egg.  Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until it comes just to a boil, and has thickened.  Remove from the heat and add the cooked rice, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, raisins, and fresh grated coconut.  Stir together until well combined.  Makes about 4 servings.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...