Thursday, June 2, 2011

Red Velvet Cake Balls



I have kept it no secret that I don't like red velvet cake. At all.  In fact, I don't believe that I have ever had red velvet cake, let alone made it.  So imaging my dismay when my oldest hungry puppy asked me, begged me, pleaded with me, to make red velvet cake.  You know me, I will do anything for my hungry puppies, so here we are.  We decided to make the cake into cake balls, since she has really really really been wanting to make those as well.  


The result?  A super easy treat that will turn everything in your kitchen bright red!  Remind me in the future to not give a 2 year old red velvet cake balls.  Ever.  I tried one as well, and will be honest.  They aren't bad.  For a red velvet hater, that is saying a lot.  So let me say a little more.  I only liked them for the cream cheese frosting!  I tasted a bite of the plain red velvet cake...still definitely not my thing.  But oh what I wouldn't do for frosting.  Don't hold it against me.


Red Velvet Cake Balls


1 box red velvet cake mix (2 layer size) baked in a 9x13 pan
1 (16 ounce) can cream cheese frosting
1 (24 ounce) package white almond bark
Rainbow sprinkles


In a food processor, grind up the red velvet cake, then transfer to a large bowl.  Add the cream cheese frosting and stir well until completely combined.  Roll into small balls, using your hands or a small cookie scoop.  Place the cake balls on a wax paper lined tray and refrigerate for freeze for several hours until thoroughly chilled.  


In a double boiler, melt the white almond bark until  completely melted and smooth.  Using a toothpick or a fork, skewer the cake balls and dip into the melted almond bark.  Return dipped cake balls to the waxed paper and immediately sprinkle with the rainbow sprinkles.  Repeat with remaining cake  balls.  Return cake balls to the refrigerator or freezer until the almond bark is completely set.  Store in a sealed Tupperware container in the refrigerator. Makes 52 cake balls.


Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

1 comments :

Kristy said...

I tried the red cake once too -- never again! Such a mess! And I can never think of red velvet cake without thinking about a certain armadillo groom's cake from Steel Magnolias.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...