Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Chocolate Malt Ball Cookies


I decided to try these cookies, because I am quite taken with using malted milk powder in my baking, and have not yet found a recipe for malted chocolate chip cookies that turned out well.  I have tried several, but they have all come out pancake-esque, which is not exactly what I'm looking for in a cookie.  I also haven't made cookies for several months and felt that my hungry puppies are suffering for it.  I just can't put them through a cookie-less existence.  


I found this recipe in a classic Taste of Home cookbook that my mom gave to me a couple of months ago, but have just now had a chance to look through.  Unsurprisingly, I changed a thing or two in the recipe and the result was fabulous.  These cookies will definitely make my list of "go to" recipes.  On a side note, if you don't have (and don't want to buy) Whoppers or malted milk balls, just use extra chocolate chips or chunks.  The cookies will still be delicious.


Chocolate Malt Ball Cookies


1 cup butter flavored shortening
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup malted milk powder
2 Tablespoons caramel syrup (I used Cajeta, a Mexican caramel syrup)
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups Whoppers or malted milk balls
1 cup (6 ounces) semi sweet chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 375F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.


In a mixing bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine shortening, brown sugar, malted milk powder, caramel syrup, and vanilla, and beat for two minutes.  Add the egg and beat well.  In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.  Gradually add to creamed mixture, mixing until fully incorporated.  Roughly chop or crush the Whoppers, then stir them into the dough with the chocolate chips.  


Scoop the dough into 2 inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheet.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven and let cool on the pan for 2 to 3 minutes (don't skip this!  The cookies will be very soft and need a couple of minutes to firm up!), then transfer cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.  Makes about 36 cookies.  


Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...