Saturday, April 23, 2011

Malted Peanut Butter Cookies



Oh, yeah.  I know what you're thinking.  She has completely lost it.  She's nuts.  These cookies will be disgusting.  Well, my thoughts pretty much ran along that track the entire time I created this recipe and made these cookies.  In fact, as I researched my idea online, I saw a blog page that said "Malted milk and peanut butter cookies (Not Together!)".  My thought when I read that? Doom. In fact, I couldn't even bring myself to taste the dough (not usually a problem that I have). The outcome?  A soft yet crispy peanut butter cookie studded with chunks of Easter colored malted milk balls and chopped chocolate.  I quite like them actually.  Okay, twist my arm.  They are delicious, and I am embarrassed to confess how many I actually ate. 


Malted Peanut Butter Cookies


3/4 cup butter flavored shortening
4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup Chocolate Malted Milk Powder (I use Carnation brand)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 ounces malted milk balls, coarsely chopped (or smashed with a rolling pin)
6 ounces chopped milk chocolate (I used a Hersheys candy bar)


Preheat the oven to 375F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.


In a large bowl, combine the shortening, butter, malted milk powder, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and peanut butter.  Beat with an electric mixer until well blended.  Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until well incorporated.  In a separate bowl, stir together the oatmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Add the dry ingredients to the creamed ingredients and beat until combined.  Stir in the malted milk balls and chopped chocolate.


Using a cookie scoop, drop balls of dough (about a heaping tablespoon size) onto the prepared baking sheet.  Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until very lightly browned.  Cool on the pan for 2 minutes (this is very important!  The cookies will be very soft!), then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.  Makes about 3 dozen cookies.


Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...