Saturday, June 18, 2011

Toasted Coconut Macadamia Nut Ice Cream



I just got an ice cream maker, and I am so excited to post about ice cream all Summer long...and perhaps into the Winter.  My hungry puppy requested Fresh Pineapple Pie for dessert when my in-laws were in town, and I thought that this Toasted Coconut Macadmia Nut Ice Cream would provide the perfect "a la mode"!  


This ice cream recipe is so simple, with just 5 ingredients.  There is no cooking involved, so that cuts out a lot of time!  I actually made two batches of this ice cream, because I wanted to try a slightly lighter version and compare that to the original.  I simply substituted coconut milk (not the kind in the can, but the kind you buy in the milk section, Silk is a popular brand) for the half and half.  The lighter ice cream came out tasting not as sweet, but I think that is because it wasn't as rich and creamy tasting.  It was still delicious, however, and I (who actually prefer many light and diet products over their full fat/full sugar counterparts. Does that shock you? It might, given some of the "Holy Calorie Intake!!!" desserts you find on here.) really enjoyed it.  Immensely.  In fact, excuse me while I retire to the freezer with a spoon for another side by side comparison.


Toasted Coconut Macadamia Nut Ice Cream


1 can (15 ounces) Cream of Coconut
2 cups half and half (for the lighter version, substitute 2 cups of Coconut Milk from the milk               section at the grocery store)
1/3 cup coconut, toasted
1/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts
1 chocolate Hershey's bar, shaved


In a bowl, combine the cream of coconut and the half and half (or coconut milk), and stir well until blended.  Freeze according to your ice cream maker directions.  About five minutes before the freezing cycle is complete, add the coconut, nuts, and chocolate to the churning ice cream.  Serve immediately (ice cream will be soft), or transfer to a Tupperware container and store in the freezer until ready to use.  Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.


Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...