Friday, September 13, 2013

Zucchini Honey Bread


I am not a fan of zucchini.  Not at all.  I detested it when I was a kid and my Mom made me eat it.  I still detest it now, however, since I am the mom now, I just don't buy it.  Unless it comes in my bountiful basket, in which case I make this fabulous zucchini honey bread.  It is so tender and moist and delicious.  It is my most favorite zucchini bread recipe ever!  My Hungry Puppies love it too!  They just can't get enough.  My youngest Hungry Puppy said "Mom!  It's not disgusting like I thought it would be!".  I guess the sight of all that green vegetable going in was a little disconcerting.

Zucchini Honey Bread

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup honey
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Grease and flour 2 8x4 inch loaf pans.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together the oil, melted butter, honey, eggs, and vanilla.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.  Stir in the grated zucchini until evenly distributed.  

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pans, smoothing the tops.  Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Remove bread from the oven and let cool in the pans for about 10 minutes.  Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the bread, then remove the bread from the pans and place on a cooling rack to cool.  Makes 2 loaves.

Note: You can bake this bread in a 9x5  inch loaf pan.  The pan will be quite full, and will take about 1 hour and 25 minutes to bake, so watch it and cover with bread loosely with foil after about 1 hour to prevent over browning.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...