Friday, January 20, 2012

Brown-Rice Pudding

I have a funny history with rice pudding. My parents used to make it all the time when I was little--always in the crock pot--and I hated it. Except for the very very top. So every morning when I got up to get ready for school, I would skim just the very top off the rice pudding and be on my merry little way. Well, my friends, not a lot has changed. I have since come to love the rest of rice pudding, but I still reserve a special place in my stomach for just the very top.

I was inspired to make this after Chemist Cuisinier, PhD made some while I was visiting her over the weekend. Unfortunately, I do not have a crock pot, so I had to find a stove-top recipe. I used brown rice (because I discovered I didn't have white rice) which gave this pudding a much coarser texture and a very unique, warm flavor, which was enhanced by the cinnamon. Unfortunately, it also more than doubled the cooking time. Given the flavor of this pudding, though, I think it was definitely worth it. Next time I may try soaking the rice before cooking to reduce cook time. You may also use regular white rice, but for me the brown-rice pudding is in my recipe book to stay.

3/4 C Long Grain Brown Rice
6-7 C Low-Fat Milk
1/2 C Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
Cinnamon
Nutmeg

1. In a large pot bring milk and rice to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce to a simmer and cook until rice becomes soft, and the pudding becomes thick, about 45-60 minutes (if using white rice, about 20-25 min). You may need to add more liquid.

2. When pudding is ready, remove from heat and add sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. You may also add raisins or another dry fruit of your choice. Serve warm or chill in an airtight container.
Mahlzeit!
-Coriaunty

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...