Saturday, August 13, 2011

Will The Real Homemade Butterfinger Please Stand Up?

I recently told you that I would definitely be making this candy again.  Like on Friday.  And I did.  But something weird happened...I followed the instructions so incredibly carefully that I got a different result than I did the first time.  Instead of the crisp, flaky candy that I originally produced, I got a rock hard candy with a powdery bite to it.  No flakes, no crisp, no joke.  My sister, Chemist Cuisiner, PhD made this candy according to the directions I posted...and got the exact same rock hard powdery candy!  What the heck is going on here?!  


So, I needed to go back and ask myself, "What did you do so differently the first time you made this?".  Welllll...I kind of accidentally overcooked the sugar syrup to about 300F, and I was so worried that the candy would set up too fast that I did not stir it for very long.  So together with Chemist Cuisiner, PhD we came to the conclusion that my initial "mistake" of over cooking the sugar and undermixing the candy was actually a very happy accident that produced the crisp flakiness of the candy.  So, of course, I had to test my new theory by making the candy again...and it was a success!  I have made the corrections to the original post, and you can find the updated post here.  Good Luck!


Enjoy!  -Cardamommy



0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...