Monday, April 11, 2011

Mango Cardamom Bread Pudding

I have found myself in possession of a mango. What does one do with a single mango? Bread pudding, duh! Ok, so maybe it's not quite that obvious. I really wanted to cook something besides some sort of smoothie, sauce, or roast duck with the mango salsa, but really had no idea what could be made. So I did a little research and discovered quite a few recipes calling for mango that sounded absolutely delicious. Unfortunately, most of them called for other strange ingredients that I have neither heard of nor know where to find. But out came one recipe--this one here--from the masses that sounded divinely fabulous. So I made it.

After surveying my pantry and reading the recipe reviews, I did a little modifying. Rather than white bread I used Great Harvest Honey Whole Wheat Bread. I also decreased the amount of cardamom so it wouldn't be too overpowering. That was a good choice. Because I am not really a fan of warm fruit, I wasn't fond of this when it first came out of the oven. It wasn't bad by any means, but it wasn't my favorite. However. I stuck the rest in the fridge and gave it another try the next day...wonderful! The bread on top had a slight crunch while the rest of the dish was soft, dense, and full of flavor. Who knew that cardamom and mango would work so well together?

6 Slices Honey Whole Wheat Bread, torn into small pieces
2 Mangos, peeled, seeded and diced
1/4 C White Sugar
3 Eggs, lightly beaten
2 1/4 C Milk
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
3/4 tsp Cardamom
2 T Butter

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter a 9x11 baking dish.

2. Toss together the pieces of bread and mango, and place in the prepared baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla and cardamom. Pour over the bread. Dot with small pieces of butter.

3. Bake for 45-50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until slightly puffed and golden brown.

Mahlzeit!
-Coriaunty

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...