Friday, February 19, 2016

Apple Cranberry Pastry Cream Pie


I found this recipe ages ago from Better Homes and Gardens, and am just finally getting around to making it.  I feel like this is a theme in my kitchen lately.  "I can't wait to make this recipe" quickly turns into "I'll get around to it eventually". If I had my way, I'd bake and create all the time!  But then I'd also have a refrigerator full of sweets and treats.  Which sounds amazing, but my jeans wouldn't thank me.  This pie, though!  I made only a few changes from the original pie.  I used my own favorite crust recipe, and I made a lattice top.  The pastry cream at the bottom of the pie gives an interesting flavor contrast to the classic apples and tart cranberries.  Initially I was going to add more cranberries, but decided to stick with the recipe.  The cranberries, as a result don't overpower the pie, but are a nice tart colorful addition.

Apple Cranberry Pastry Cream Pie

2 layer 9-inch pie crust

Pastry Cream:
1 cup milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 egg yolks
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Apple Cranberry Filling:
6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup cranberries
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon salt

For the pastry cream, place the milk and 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan and heat until nearly at a boil.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt until combined.  The mixture will be very thick.  Slowly whisk about 1/2 of the milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, then return the mixture to the pan.  Continue to cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thick and bubbly.  Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.  Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble the pie.

For the apple cranberry filling, place the sliced apples and cranberries in a large mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, sugar, flour, cinnamon, allspice, and salt, and toss together until the apples are evenly coated.

Preheat the oven to 375F.

Fit the bottom crust into a 9-inch pie plate.  Spread the pastry cream over the bottom of the crust.  Spoon the apple cranberry filling over the pastry cream.  Use the top crust to make a lattice, or simply place the top crust over the pie.  Seal and crimp the edges.  If not making a lattice, cut several slits into the top of the pie to let steam escape during baking.  Place the pie in the oven and bake for 80 to 90 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly in the center.  Cover the pie loosely with foil if the crust starts to get too brown.  Remove the pie from the oven and let cool before slicing and serving.  Makes 8-10 servings.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy





0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...