Friday, July 17, 2015

Honey Vanilla Almond Granola


I don't make granola very often, but when I do it disappears so fast! A nibble here, a bowl there, breakfast, snacks, toppings, and it's gone! This time I wanted to make it for a recipe I'm going to try out. I put granola on my grocery list, but then thought, why can't I just make it myself? So. I used this recipe as a basic outline, then added and tweaked to fit what I wanted it to be. It turned out so great, it might be our favorite so far! Note: I made a second batch of this granola using quick oats instead of old fashioned oats just to experiment with the consistency. The quick oat batch had a consistency more like what you get from store bought granola. Make it how you love it best!

Honey Vanilla Almond Granola

5 cups old fashioned oats
2 1/2 cups sliced almonds
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 egg whites

Preheat the oven to 300F.  Lightly grease a half sheet pan.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the oats and almonds. Set aside.

In a smaller bowl, stir together the coconut oil, honey, brown Sugar, and cinnamon. Place in the microwave and heat in 30 second intervals, stirring after each until bubbly. Be careful that it doesn't boil over in the microwave.  Stir in the vanilla and almond extract.  The mixture will bubble up a bit. Pour the honey mixture over the oats and stir until evenly moistened.

Place the egg whites in a bowl and beat until white and foamy. You don't need peaks here, just foam.  Stir the foamy egg whites into the oat mixture. Pour the granola onto the prepared pan and press firmly into an even layer.

Bake the granola for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Do not stir. This plus the egg whites will keep the granola in those lovely clumps.  Remove granola from the oven and let cool completely. Break the granola into pieces and store in an airtight container.  Makes about 12 cups.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...