Monday, March 17, 2014

No Yeast Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls


I was trying to come up with a last minute recipe to make my Hungry Puppies for dessert the other night, and I couldn't find anything to bake!  Here's the big problem.  The longer it takes me to find a recipe, the less time I have to make it, which narrows my recipe options.  Enter these cinnamon rolls, which don't use yeast therefore have no rise time, therefore take less than an hour to make start to finish. I've made a similar variation of these cinnamon rolls for ages (actually I made them frequently ages ago, but haven't made them in ages, which means I need to do so and post them), and this is just a chocolate version.  In fact, looking back, I definitely should have made a chocolate frosting instead of vanilla.  Oh well, a reason to make them again soon.  I'm not a fan of chocolate and cinnamon together, so chocolate cinnamon rolls tend to throw me for a loop.  I almost left the cinnamon out of the filling, but my Hungry Puppies wanted it. I was very pleasantly surprised with how well it worked out.  The cinnamon wasn't strong and I didn't get my usual chocolate vs. cinnamon clash. All in all, a total success.  Now I'm thinking about butterfinger cinnamon rolls...Stay tuned!

No Yeast Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls

Chocolate Cinnamon Roll Dough:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons buttermilk
1/4 cup melted butter

Cinnamon Sugar Filling:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
2 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Vanilla Frosting:
2 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 to 3 teaspoons milk
Mini chocolate chips, for topping (if desired)

Preheat the oven to 400F.  Grease a 9 inch round or square baking pan with cooking spray.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Stir in the buttermilk and melted butter until the dough just comes together, it may be a little craggy, that's okay.  Do not overmix.  Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead once or twice.  On a floured surface, roll the dough out to about a 10x14 inch rectangle.  

For the filling, stir together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter until the mixture resembles wet sand.  Spread the 2 tablespoons of softened evenly over the rolled out dough.  Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the buttered dough.  Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips over the top of the cinnamon sugar.  Roll up the dough, starting on the longer side.  Cut the dough log into 9 pieces and place cut side down in the prepared baking pan.  Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.  Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before frosting.

For the frosting, mix together the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla until combined.  Stir in enough of the milk to reach the desired consistency.  Spread the frosting over the warm cinnamon rolls.  Sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the frosting, if desired.  Makes 9 cinnamon rolls.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...