Monday, March 3, 2014

Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies


This is a recipe that I have been searching for for a long time.  I mean a really long time, and I am super excited to have finally found the one!  I really like the taste and texture of a good bakery cookie, but I've never been able to duplicate it at home, much to my disappointment.  I found this recipe earlier this week, and I've already made them twice.  The first time the didn't come out the way I wanted, and I actually tossed the recipe.  But the flavor was amazing, and they got rave reviews from my husband's coworkers, so I dug up the recipe again and made another attempt.  And they were totally a success and turned out much better than the first time.  I think that the problem that I had was with the flour.  You have to be very careful to measure the flour precisely, and not pack it down or the cookies will be too dry and dense, and will not spread.  The dough should be very stiff, but not crumbly.  These cookies are deliciously buttery and flavorful with a perfect amount of chocolate (which you can change up if you want to).  The shortening gives these cookies a bit of a sandy crunchy texture (which I adore!).  These cookies are on my top 3 chocolate chip cookies list for sure!  Note:  This recipe can be doubled.

Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour 
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Cream together the butter, shortening, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until well blended.  Add one cup of the flour, the cornstarch, baking soda, and salt, and beat until just combined.  Add the second cup of flour and beat until incorporated.  Add the chocolate chips and beat on low speed until evenly distributed.

Scoop the dough by 1/4 cupfuls and place on the prepared baking sheet, leaving several inches of space in between each dough ball.  Flatten the tops of the dough balls very slightly (you don't want to spread the dough, just flatten the rounded top of the dough ball.  I actually use a flat bottomed 1/4 cup measuring cup so when the dough comes out of the measuring cup it is in a perfect disk shape with a flat top).  Place the cookies in the preheated oven and bake for 14 to 15 minutes, or until just golden brown on the edges and very top.  Do not overbake, or the cookies will be more crunchy than chewy (which is a no go in my book).  Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack to cool.  Makes about 12 large cookies.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...