Friday, May 24, 2013

Baked Brie Apple Pie


I was so incredibly excited when I saw the recipe for this pie.  Over the holidays, I kind of went through this insane brie with cinnamon wheat thins phase.  Then I made some Cinnamon Sugar Brie and Pistachios Breadsticks (which are amazing!).  So.  Cinnamon, sugar, brie.  We're good friends.  I made this pie for my oldest Hungry Puppy on her last day of school yesterday.  Apple pie is her favorite.  Brie?  Not so much.  So, I thought I'd sneak it in there and see how it went. It kind of got devoured.  She did express a mild dislike for the bottom crust (which is where all the brie resides), but overall it went well!  I didn't actually tell anyone that I put brie in the pie, though, until after they ate it.  The brie is not overwhelming, but you get a taste that works oh so well with the apples.  And cinnamon.  And sugar.  

Baked Brie Apple Pie

8 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
6 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
9 inch double layer pie crust (This one is my favorite, it as never failed me)
8 ounces brie cheese, cubed 

Preheat the oven to 450F.  

Place the apples, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and vanilla in a large bowl and toss with a large spoon until the apples are coated evenly.

Roll out the bottom crust and place in a 9 inch pie plate.  Place the cubed brie evenly over the crust.  Pour the apple mixture over the cheese.  Roll out the top crust and place over the apples.  Seal and crimp the edges of the pie crust.  Cut several slits in the top crust to  let the steam escape during baking.  

Bake the pie for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350F and continue baking for 45 to 60 more minutes.  If the crust browns too quickly, place a piece of tin foil loosely over the pie.  When the pie is bubbly in the center, remove from the oven and let cool before slicing.  Makes about 8 to 12 servings.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...