Friday, December 14, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Toffee Cheesecake


So, I realize that this post is extremely late given that it was meant to be for Thanksgiving, but I loved this dessert so much I'm posting it anyway. I was given the assignment to make the pie for Thanksgiving this year.  My mom asked what kind of pie I was going to make.  My Hungry Puppies replied quite vehemently that it had to be pumpkin!  My mom replied that of course it would be pumpkin, but what was I going to do to it this year?  This is so hilarious and typical me.  I don't do anything plain old ordinary, and have to put a little spin on just about everything.  I found this recipe on ourbestbites.com some time ago but never made it.  Thanksgiving ( or Christmas!) would be the perfect opportunity for that.  I made a few changes to the recipe and we had a fabulous Thanksgiving dessert. 

Pumpkin Pie Toffee Cheesecake

Cheesecake Layer:
2 cups cinnamon graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup (1 stick butter, melted
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese (I used Neufchatel)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup toffee bits

Pumpkin Pie Layer:
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree (or use homemade)
3/4 cup eggnog
3 eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt

Sweetened whipped cream, for topping (optional)
Toffee bits, for topping (optional)

Preheat the oven to 300F.  Grease a 9-inch springform pan.

In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter.  Stir until the crumbs are evenly moistened.  Press into the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes.  Remove crust from the oven. While the crust is baking, make the cheesecake layer.

For the cheesecake layer using a hand mixer or a food processor (I used a food processor and it was fabulously simple), beat together the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, eggs, and toffee bits until blended.  Spread the cream cheese mixture over the crust. 

For the pumpkin pie layer, using a hand mixer or a food processor, beat together the pumpkin, eggnog, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and eggs until combined.  Carefully spoon the pumpkin mixture over the cream cheese layer (so as not to create holes in the cream cheese layer).

Bake the cheesecake for 1 hour, then increase the oven temperature to 325F and bake for 1 more hour.  The cheesecake should be set at the edges but should jiggle slightly in the center.  Remove the cheesecake from the oven and cool on a cooling rack for about 1 hour.  Cover the cheesecake with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

To serve, run a knife around the edges of the cheesecake to loosen from the pan.  Remove the sides of the pan.  Top the cheesecake with whipped cream and toffee bits if desired.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...