Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Hint of Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies



I'll tell you what.  I am NOT going to eat the last bruised spotted banana sitting on the counter.  I think that the rest of my family feels the same way.  Which brings me to the dilemma.  What do I do with it?  I hate to throw food away.  Seriously hate it.  But what do you do with 1 medium over ripe and bruised banana besides throw it away?  Make these cookies.  You know I don't like banana things...bread, cookies, muffins, cakes, popsicles, etc.  Ick.  But my options are limited...trash, cookies, trash, cookies.  Definitely cookies.  


I was pleasantly surprised that these  cookies retained their chewy chocolate chip cookie texture despite the addition of the banana.  I worried that it would become cakey (another thing I can't stand...).  These cookies are delicious, with just a hint of banana.


Hint of Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies


1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter flavored shortening
1 overripe banana, mashed
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips


Preheat the oven to 375F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.


In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, shortening, and mashed banana.  Beat well until light and smooth.  Add the vanilla and egg, and beat well until incorporated.  Beat in the flour, salt, and baking soda until just combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.


Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the prepared pan, about 2 to 3 inches apart.  Bake for 10 to 11  minutes.  Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool on the pan for about 5 minutes.  Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.  Makes about 2 dozen cookies.


Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...