Friday, September 23, 2011

Homemade Gumdrops

As I was first looking at this recipe, Chemist Cuisinier PhD looked over my shoulder and told me it looked revolting. I sheepishly closed my laptop and mumbled something like "just looking," while making the resolution in my head to prove her wrong. She left and I started the cooking frenzy. I must admit, when I was boiling the gelatin the smell sort of made me gag. But I mostly fearlessly pressed on! When I had it all in the pans and ready to let set I felt mostly better; I couldn't wait to take them out and have a delicious little gumdrop ready for my sister. The next day I cut them out, sugared them, and set them out to dry. And waited. For four days. On the fifth day I decided to put a fan next to them in hopes they would harden into the gumdrops they were supposed to be. No dice. Frankly, they were disgusting. They were just sugared, soft goop. Ew. So, although they're cute, these little homemade gumdrops are--as Chemist Cuisinier put it--quite revolting. But if you do give them a try, let me know if you have better results.

4 T Gelatin (about 6 envelopes)
1 C Cold Water
1 1/2 C Boiling Water
4 C Sugar
1/4 tsp Flavored Extract (lemon, peppermint, etc)
1-2 Drops Food Coloring
Extra Sugar for Coating

In a large pot, soften gelatin in cold water for 5 minutes. Then stir in boiling water until gelatin dissolves. Stir in sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 25 minutes, stirring constantly.

Pour mixture into 3 3x5 pans. Add 1/4 tsp extract and 1-2 drops food coloring to each pan and stir until thoroughly combined. Cover and chill overnight in the fridge.

Using a knife dipped in hot water, cut gelatin mixture into 3/4 inch cubes. Separate cubes and roll in sugar until coated on all sides.

Place gumdrops on wax paper and leave at room temperature for two days to crystallize.

Mahlzeit!
-Coriaunty

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...