Friday, September 2, 2011

Bloomingdales Chocolate Chip Cookies



Several years ago, my mom gave me a cookbook containing the favorite recipes of our extended family on my mother's side.  This part of my family immigrated to the United States in 1893 from Medelpad Province in Sweden, so there is a nice mix of Swedish-based recipes as well as more American fare.  In going through the cookbook, I found this cookie recipe, and decided to give it a try.  When I did, the cookie was so familiar to me.  Familiar texture, taste, look...and I realized!  This cookie was my mom's number one cookie that she made when I was young!  No only are these cookies incredibly delicious, but they are a classic for me.


These cookies have an interesting texture, thanks to the ground up oatmeal in them.  They are hearty cookies with a nice nutty flavor from the oats.  I used white chocolate chips in this batch (a request from my Hungry Puppies), but I usually use semi sweet chocolate chips, which are a nice contrast to the sweet dough, which is sweetened even further by the grated candy bar.  I also omitted the nuts.  Keep in mind that the recipe makes a lot of cookies (and they freeze well!), and you can easily halve the recipe if you need a more manageable amount.


Bloomingdale's Chocolate Chip Cookies


2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups flour
5 cups oatmeal
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
24 ounces chocolate chips
1 8-ounce Hershey Bar, coarsely grated
3 cups chopped nuts


Preheat the oven to 375F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.


Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs and the vanilla and beat well until completely combined.


In a blender, combine small amounts of the flour and oatmeal and process until it is in powdered form.  Continue until all of the oatmeal and flour are blended in the blender.  To the flour mixture, add the salt, baking powder, and baking soda.  Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and beat until combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips, Hershey Bar, and nuts.


Form the dough in to golf ball size balls and place about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.  Bake the cookies for about 5 to 6 minutes, being careful not to overbake as the cookies will harden.  Makes about 112 cookies.


Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...