Monday, December 7, 2015

Caramel Pumpkin Pie


I was trying to decide what kind of pumpkin pie to do this year, but wasn't having any great ideas.  I didn't want to do something crazy complicated and elaborate because I had so many other things going on and I needed something a bit more simple.  I didn't want to just do a plain old ordinary pumpkin pie though either, because plain and ordinary aren't really in my repertoire.  I then had an epiphany.  I could use caramel flavored condensed milk and do a super simple caramel pumpkin pie.  Brilliant.  Easy.  Done.  I found the caramel flavored condensed milk at Walmart, but if you can't find any, just substitute regular sweetened condensed milk.  Note: I made my pie in a deep dish pie plate and this recipe filled it to the tippy top.  If you are using a shallow pie plate, just cut the recipe in half.  Recipe adapted from here.

Caramel Pumpkin Pie

1 9-inch pie crust, unbaked
2 cans (15 ounces each) pumpkin puree
2 cans (14 ounces each) caramel flavor sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon ginger
3/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 425F.  Fit the pie crust into a 9 inch deep dish pie plate.  Crimp the edges.

Whisk together the pumpkin puree, caramel condensed milk, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and salt until smooth and well blended.  Pour into the prepared crust.

Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.  Reduce the oven temperature to 350F and continue baking the pie for an additional 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  Remove the pie from the oven and let cool completely.  Serve at room temperature, or chill and serve cold.  Top with whipped cream.  Makes 8 to 12 servings.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...