Friday, June 5, 2015

Double Lemon Chocolate Chip Cookies


Sometimes I hear about flavor combinations that just don't make sense in my head.  I love chocolate and orange together.  Love!  Chocolate and lemon, however, I just could never wrap my head around.  Until these cookies.  I thought I would give it a shot, and it totally blew me away. You usually see lemon and white chocolate together, which can sometimes be a little one note and sweet for me. With these cookies, the lemon is so fresh and is perfect with the bite of dark chocolate.  The chocolate doesn't drown out the lemon, and it gives a great contrast.

Double Lemon Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1/4 cup shortening

Zest of 2 lemons
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
2 cups all purpose flour 
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi sweet or dark chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Cream together the butter, shortening, lemon zest, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until well blended.  Add one cup of the flour, the cornstarch, baking soda, and salt, and beat until just combined.  Add the second cup of flour and beat until incorporated.  Add the chocolate chips and beat on low speed until evenly distributed.

Scoop the dough into tablespoon sized balls and place on the prepared baking sheet.  Place the cookies in the preheated oven and bake for 9 to 10 minutes, or until just golden brown on the edges and very top.  Do not overbake, or the cookies will be more crunchy than chewy (which is a no go in my book).  Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack to cool.  Makes about 36 cookies.


Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...