Friday, March 6, 2015

Grandmother's Famous Cranberry Bread


Recently, my mom emailed me copies of a bunch of recipes from my grandma.  Most of them are for strudels and potica (which I will be trying out this spring!).  There was also a recipe for this cranberry bread.  I decided to make it (actually, my oldest Hungry Puppy made it) because I thought the combination of cranberries and raisins looked interesting, and it was in my grandma's collection! How cool is that?! I'm excited to be able to continue on with the baking traditions of my family.  I am sharing the recipe exactly as I received it, but made the following changes: I used 1 cup raisins, and baked only about 1 hour.

Grandmother's Famous Cranberry Bread

2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
3/4 cup orange juice
1 1/2 cup light raisins
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda into a large bowl.  Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.  Add egg,  orange peel, and orange juice all at once; stir just until mixture is evenly moist.  Fold in raisins and cranberries.

Spoon into a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.  Bake at 350F for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.

If you choose, you may substitute cranberries for the raisins to have an all cranberry bread.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...