Monday, February 16, 2015

Orange Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies


I have been thinking about these cookies since before Christmas.  They didn't make my Christmas baking list because I let my Hungry Puppies finalize the baking list and these didn't make it.  Oh well.  I knew I'd make them eventually, so here we are!  Originally I planned just to use chocolate chips, but then I accidentally bought my husband a Terry's Chocolate Orange.  A Dark Chocolate Orange.  Oops.  He's definitely not a fan.  So I knew he'd never eat it, but I knew he'd eat it in cookies!  It was perfect for these cookies.  If you don't have a chocolate orange (I've only seen them around Christmas time or in specialty shops), just use chocolate chips.  The cookies are thick and chewy and the orange, coconut, and chocolate are a perfect combination!

Orange Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1/4 cup shortening

Grated zest of 1 orange
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour 
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 shredded coconut

1 cup chocolate chips OR 1 Terry's Chocolate Orange, chopped 

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Cream together the butter, shortening, orange zest, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until well blended.  Add one cup of the flour, the cornstarch, baking soda, and salt, and beat until just combined.  Add the second cup of flour and beat until incorporated.  Add the coconut and chopped chocolate orange (or chocolate chips) and beat on low speed until evenly distributed.

Scoop the dough into 2 tablespoon size balls and place on the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches of space in between each dough ball.  Flatten the tops of the dough balls very slightly (you don't want to spread the dough, just flatten the rounded top of the dough ball).  Place the cookies in the preheated oven and bake for 10 to 11 minutes, or until just golden brown on the edges and very top.  Do not overbake, or the cookies will be more crunchy than chewy (which is a no go in my book).  Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack to cool.  Makes about 24 cookies.


Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...