Monday, January 27, 2014

Breaded Pineapple



I found this recipe in an old bread machine cookbook ages ago when I was just beginning to find my way around the kitchen.  It was a super simple recipe that included things I loved, so it was right up my alley.  We loved it, and it quickly became an often repeated recipe in my kitchen.  Eventually this recipe made its way out of circulation, and I totally forgot about it for years, until last week. For some reason, this recipe popped into my head, and I knew I had to make it again, and soon!  Chunks of bread and pineapple are smothered in a buttery pineapple sauce, then baked to deliciousness!  This recipe is fast, simple, and a little bit addicting.  Note:  You can use whichever kind of bread you like the best.  I have used white and wheat, and this time I used a fruit and nut bread.

Breaded Pineapple

1 can (15 ounces) pineapple chunks or tidbits, drained and the juice reserved
3 cups cubed bread (about 4 thick slices) (homemade or storebought)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup butter

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Spray an 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Place the pineapple and bread chunks in the prepared baking dish and toss to combine.  Set aside.

Place the reserved pineapple juice in a measuring cup.  Add enough water to the pineapple juice to equal one cup.  If you already have 1 cup (or a bit more is okay too. I've had up to 1 1/4 cups of juice before and it is just fine) of juice, then do not add water.

In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch.  Stir in the pineapple juice, and add the butter.  Heat the pineapple juice mixture over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbling, and the butter has melted.  Pour the pineapple juice mixture evenly over the bread and pineapple in the pan.  Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.  Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy



0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...