Monday, August 5, 2013

Buttermilk Yellow Cake


I've been experimenting with yellow cake recipes recently (such as this one), and I thought that I had found my favorite.  I may have been wrong, because this one may be my new favorite.  Or maybe I just need several favorites.  This recipe is so delicious!  It is moist and perfect and delicious.  I just received some vanilla butternut flavoring in the mail that I ordered from King Arthur Flour, and I love it.  I might be obsessed.  If you don't have vanilla butternut flavoring, you should buy some.  Or you could just use vanilla, and it would still be good.  Lastly, I couldn't decide which kind of frosting I wanted to use on this cake, so I made two different batches and frosted half of the cake with one and half with the other.  Problem solved.  One is the classic american buttercream that I love, and the other is a bakery style frosting.  They are both delicious, but I eventually decided that I prefer the classic american buttercream.  I will post them both and let you decide your favorite! Original cake recipe found here.

Buttermilk Yellow Cake

Cake:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon vanilla butternut flavoring (substitute with another flavor or 1 tsp of vanilla)
4 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt


Bakery Frosting:
½ cup shortening
2 Tablespoons powdered nondairy creamer
1/8 teaspoon vanilla butternut flavoring
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons water

OR

Classic American Buttercream:
¼ cup shortening
¼ cup butter, room temperature
½ teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon vanilla butternut flavoring
2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon milk
Preheat oven to 350°F.  Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, vanilla extract, and vanilla butternut flavor until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time until well blended. Add the buttermilk and beat on low speed until just combine. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and beat until incorporated.

Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly. Tap the pan on the counter to remove any large air bubbles. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove cake from the oven and let cool completely on a cooling rack.  

For the bakery frosting, cream together the shortening, creamer, flavoring, and vanilla. Beat in the powdered sugar a little at a time until incorporated. Beat in the water until frosting reaches the desired consistency.

For the American buttercream, cream together the shortening, butter, vanilla, and flavoring. Beat in the powdered sugar a little at a time until incorporated. Beat in the milk.  Spread frosting on top of cake. Makes 20 to 24 servings.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy




0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...