Friday, August 2, 2013

Fresh Bing Cherry Pie


In researching a recipe for this pie on the internet, I can't tell you how many "Ba Da Bing" cherry pies I came across.  It made me a little depressed, I have to say.  It just seems so corny.  So, on to this pie.  I thought it would be a great idea to buy 11 pounds of cherries since they were such a good price, and they are never a good price where I live.  Did I mention that I don't have a cherry pitter?  And that 11 pounds of cherries is a lot?  And that I will never again buy that many cherries?  Ever.  At least I got a fabulous pie out of the deal!  P.S. if you don't have a cherry pitter, you could do like me and use a bottle with a small opening and a sturdy plastic straw.  Place the cherry on top of the bottle opening and push the straw through.  The pit will fall nicely into the bottle, and you (along with everything in your kitchen in a 3 foot radius) will be sprayed and splattered with cherry juice.  11 pounds of messy fun!

Fresh Bing Cherry Pie

9 inch double crust pie crust (this one is my favorite)
6 cups (about 2 pounds pitted) fresh bing cherries, pitted
2 Tablespoons quick cooking tapioca
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large bowl, mix together the cherries, tapioca, cornstarch, salt, almond extract, and vanilla extract.  Stir until well combined.  Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400F.  Roll out the bottom crust and place inside a 9 inch pie plate.  Pour the cherry filling into the bottom crust.  Roll out the top crust and place on top of the cherry filling (or make a lattice crust), cutting slits in the dough to let the steam escape.  

Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for about 1 hour, or until the filling is bubbly in the center of the pie.  If the crust gets too brown, cover loosely with a piece of tin foil.  Makes 8 servings.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...