Friday, April 12, 2013

Tapioca Pudding


Tapioca is a well loved but rarely enjoyed treat at my house.  I have made it a grand total of one time, using quick cooking tapioca.  It was less than impressive.  I was browsing around chow.com a while ago and came across this recipe.  It looked amazing, so I tried it out.  Holy cow was it ever incredible.  This pudding was devoured.  Seconds were requested.  I actually had to make a second batch so I could take a picture of it to post here.  This pudding can be eaten warm, but I recommend eating it cold.  But I am a cold dessert person.  Warm pie, warm pudding...just doesn't do it for me.  Whichever way you like to eat it, this tapioca pudding will not disappoint.

Tapioca Pudding

3 cups whole milk
1/3 cup small-pearl tapioca (not instant)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved (I used 1 Tbsp vanilla bean paste)
1/8 teaspoon fine salt

Place 1 cup of the milk and the tapioca pearls in a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Let the pearls soak uncovered at room temperature for 1 hour.

Add the remaining 2 cups of milk, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla seeds, and salt and stir to combine. Place the pan over medium heat and cook, whisking frequently, until the mixture just comes to a simmer, about 10 minutes (do not let the mixture boil). Reduce the heat to low and cook, whisking frequently, until the mixture thickens and the tapioca pearls are softened and translucent, about 15 minutes. 

The pudding will thicken as it cools.  Serve warm if desired.  If serving cold, pour the pudding in a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.  Makes 4 - 6 servings.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...