Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Honey Cranberry Cornmeal Quick Bread


This bread is first in a short line of quick breads that I will be making in the very near future. I like my quick breads to be dense, moist, and flavorful.  And not banana.  This bread fills 3 1/2 out of 4 of those requirements.  This bread is dense, full of flavor, definitely not banana, and sort of moist.  A bonus?  There is honey in it!  This is the second time that I have made this bread.  The first time, I used dried cranberries and I felt that it was a little dry, so this time I used fresh cranberries to see if that made a difference.  I think not so much.  Notice how most of them floated up to the top?  Yeah, not quite sure what happened there.  Anyway, the moistness of the bread landed right in the mid to moderate range.  The flavor of this bread is great.  I think that I will use even more cranberries next time.

Honey Cranberry Cornmeal Quick Bread

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1/2 cup honey
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Grease and flour a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.  In a smaller bowl, whisk together the butter, honey, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.  Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.  Fold in the cranberries. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread evenly.  Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.  Cool bread in the pan on a cooling rack for 15 to 20 minutes, then remove from pan.  Serve warm.

Enjoy!  -Cardamommy

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...