Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chocolate Dipped Mint Hearts

Since the vast majority of my life is spent using the computer/internet--homework, research, homework, studying, homework, homework, etc--I sometimes forget that real books, other than textbooks, exist. Luckily, I remembered that I recently bought Nordic Ware's The Great Cookie Book. As I was flipping through pages, I came across this recipe that piqued my interest. And, because it's Valentine's Day time, I thought it especially appropriate.

I doubled the recipe because I was certain they would be delicious. However, upon making the first half, I became very concerned because they were not quite as delicious as I was hoping. I kept in mind, though, that they were a little too thick, may have been slightly underdone, and they did not have any chocolate on them. So today I tried out the second half. I rolled them to about 1/8 inch (rather than the recommended 1/4), baked them the proper time, and completed them with chocolate. Delicious. The chocolate offsets the mint perfectly, making a splendid Valentine cookie to share with family and friends. And maybe your Valentine.

Dough:
3/4 C Sugar
1 C Butter, softened
1 3 oz pkg Cream Cheese, softened
1 Egg
1 tsp Peppermint Extract (I used mint, because that's what I had)
3 C All-Purpose Flour

Chocolate Glaze:
1 1/2 C Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/3 C Butter

Cookies:
In a large bowl, combine sugar, butter, ream cheese, egg and peppermint. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add flour and beat until mixed. Divide dough in half. Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours, or until firm.

Preheat oven to 375 F. Roll out dough on a floured work surface to 1/4 inch thickness (again, I found it worked better at 1/8 inch). Cut out hearts using floured cutter. Space 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until edges are very lightly browned. Transfer immediately, cool on wire racks.

Chocolate Glaze:
Melt chocolate morsels and butter in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Dip half of each heart into melted chocolate. Place cookies on a waxed paper baking sheet. Refrigerate until chocolate sets. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.

Mahlzeit!
-Coriaunty

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...